In May 2018 CSIS offered a credit-bearing program for current Penn students (in collaboration with SP2’s Masters in Nonprofit Leadership program): Penn Impact Lab (PIL). Students convened in Grand Canyon National Park to learn tools for social innovation and volunteer with the National Park Service.
The course covered 5 distinct objectives:
1. To introduce students to the concepts and practices of social entrepreneurship;
2. To introduce students to the components of a successful social enterprise;
3. To train students to view the world from a perspective of social innovation;
4. To encourage and empower students to develop their own innovative solutions to different social problems around the world.
5. To introduce students to real social issues and social innovations in a real-world setting.